What do we do?
While we are just getting off the ground now, as a collective, we aim to……
- Host regular online meet-ups for organizers and thinkers to learn about one another’s struggles and build solidarity and capacity.
- Publish interviews, transcripts, essays, news and examples from struggles around the world
- Organize local events where organizers can gather and make common cause.
- Act as a network for organizers and activists within, against, and beyond the university.
- Reveal and challenge the North American university as a site working at the junction of settler-colonialism, neoliberal capitalism, hetero-patriarchy, white supremacy and other systems of domination and exploitation. We also diagnose the university as a key institution of power that works in concert with police, prisons, the financial system, the ‘lower’ education system, punitive state bureaucracies, culture industries and other means of oppression.
- Catalyze intersectional solidarity between and beyond laborers of the university, including: precarious academic workers; clerical, technical, food service, maintenance, and other support workers; subcontracted workers; exploited student laborers; international learners’ and those ejected from or refused by the university.
- Valorize the labor of the “undercommons”, promoting the autonomy of these forms of bottom-up refusal, collaboration, solidarity and mass intellectuality that the university at once subjugates and requires for its survival.
How can I find out more?
- Anti-colonial: towards the reclamation and revalourization of Indigenous, non-white and proletarian forms of learning/study/community-building/praxis.
- Anti-racist: Towards a politics of liberation, against the afterlives of slavery and ongoing forms of racial capitalism which universities sustain and reproduce
- Anticapitalist: against the university as an Edu-factory and against schools as reproducers of class relations
- No nostalgia: for the public education or Keynesian university-that-never-was
- Feminist: for dismantling patriarchy and hetero-and-cis-sexism
- Trans-&-Queer-Liberationist: Towards a queer rebellion, against homonormative forms of capture and the valo(u)rization of new capitalist demographics
- Autonomist: grassroots self-organization, extraparliamentary, non-sectarian
- Accomplices: beyond allyship, strategizing with, not for, and ready to betray academic institutions
- Undercommoning: radical networks, resource redirection, subversion, non-participation
- Experimentation/exodus: radical creativity and courage
- Solidarity: learning/study in league with communities, struggles, etc.
- Strategic optimism: not just a pity party or a social club
Stay in touch
- Subscribe to our email list for updates: http://eepurl.com/bmCw1b
- “Like” our page on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/undercommoning
- Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Undercommon
- Follow us on Tumblr: http://undercommoning.tumblr.com/
Our June workshop
Watch the closing session, our encounter between M Adams and Karma Chavez